Tuesday, May 09, 2006

new words

All caught up and no place to go. That's today's story. I have lots of time on my hands, and not so much to do with it. I should sit by the computer, waiting for ads to come in, but my feet are dying to dance in the grass. The sun seems to be cooperating, at least for the time being.

Looks like another weekend out of town for us, providing my SO (significant other) feels a little better - he's a bit under the weather.

I've met so many people over the last few months that I get a little confused about who goes with whom. The family is very big and spread out over lots of rural country. It feels more comfortable than I expected. I suppose because I come from such a large family. But the years I spent in Houston were relatively extended-family-free. There was me, my husband and kids, and my sister, Ann. Other than that, family functions called for a long plane ride. And they occurred only sporadically. And so this is new and old. Birthday parties, family reunions, graduations...they seem to be constant. Gas prices being what they are, this gets "spendy."

"Spendy" is a new word that has been added to my vocabulary. It is frequently used by South Dakotans (is that right?) when referring to things that are priced on the high side. The frequently used word that I find quaint is "supper." I do remember it from a past life in Ohio, but it was virtually erased from my mind until I was invited out to "supper" by my SO. My daughter laughs every time she hears it, and I haven't found myself able to say it yet without putting unnecessary emphasis on the word. Perhaps one day...

In the meantime, I am told that I have an "accent." I am not one to drawl...never have been. But up here, they seem to think I do. I suppose an occasional y'all does slip out. But other than that, I consider myself completely accent-less. I was shocked when I spoke to a woman on the phone about trash collection and she pegged me as a Southeast Texas girl.

Will this, like my old life, fade away? Some mornings I get up and don't much think about my life before I came here. While I'm sure that where I've been has helped me to become who I am, I choose not to think of the sadness of the past. It's hard to pick up the phone and deal with any of the life stuff that remains unresolved. And yet I know it must be done eventually. I wish there was a sort of magic in the world that might fix it all while I sleep, tie up the loose ends and leave a pretty pink bow for me to find when I open my eyes.

I will be forced to tie my own bow, but I'm not going to think about that now. I'm going to tie my shoe laces instead, and tromp about Sioux Falls. Perhaps I'll learn a few more new words.

1 comment:

Lion~* said...

WHAT???? <*{{{Mermaidens}}}}--< don't eat supper? What do you have then? I have always had supper! What do you call it? The last meal of the day? or if there is a later bedtime snack... the second to last meal of the day?
I didn't know people didn't say supper! I also have dinner... but it is the very same thing as supper. lol....

I would like to wake up to a big bow also! What a relief it would be... packaged up... nothing to do but smile and pull it open!

Love Lion~*SpagettiSupperPaw